I was at the Journey 2 Success conference last week put on by Anne Day and Company of Women. Dianne Buckner was the luncheon keynote speaker. Dianne has been a business journalist for 20 years and has watched closely as some people have struck it rich, while others have struggled and ultimately failed.
Dianne counted down her Top Ten Tips of Successful People, based on her observations of hundreds of business people, both big and small. Here they are summarized for you:
- They are tuned into trends.
Diane’s suggestion was to follow people on Twitter on your keywords. You don’t even have to be posting on Twitter yourself to be tuned into what’s going on.
- They feel comfortable talking about their strengths.
- They know that tough times are not necessarily bad times.
They have a positive attitude and use the slow times to improve their processes and make things better. They’re always looking for the opportunity in whatever’s happening.
- They never miss an opportunity to promote themselves or their business.
Diane commented that women are not good at this, and I’d have to agree with her. We need to get better at self-promotion.
- They know when to be brief. Whenever possible, it’s best to be brief.
- They are aware of their weaknesses.
They know what they’re not good at and they get support. They capitalize on their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.
- They get other people to say yes to them and their ideas.
- They are strategic in their thinking.
They can be unemotional and objective when things aren’t going well. They take a step back to see if they’re doing the right thing.
- Successful people work hard, but not too hard.
- There are persistent. They keep at it no matter what.
How do you stack up against these traits? Pick one to focus on this week, and take action to follow the traits of highly succesful business people.
What are your thoughts?