A question I hear a lot from my clients is “If I’m publishing both a blog and an ezine, can I use the same content for both?”
I used to think I could, but now I realize that my blog content needs to be different than the articles I publish in my ezine. Blogs are meant to be more conversational, ezines more informational.
Ezine articles are typically designed to inform and educate your readers. Blog posts, on the other hand, are designed to build better relationships with your audience in a more conversational style by sharing your thoughts, experiences and resources. You need to let your personality as well as your expertise shine through on your blog.
Patsi Krakoff at her blog “Writing on the Web” made a great post on “7 Keys to Content Marketing on a Business Blog: Why a blog is not a newsletter“.
Here is Patsi’s list of 7:
Content marketing on your business blog means you must do all of these things:
- Establish your expertise
- Connect and build relationships with readers
- Tell personal stories and share experiences
- Relate to the problems and experiences of readers
- Provide solutions generously (digital downloads, links to other sites and resources)
- Show your personality (video clips, audio interviews)
- Have conversations rather than promote or market
Read Patsi’s full blog post here and share your thoughts and questions below.